It's My Birthday! And Other Happy Life Updates
I'm officially 25 years old, you guys! The age when it finally sounds like I'm a real adult, although most people know that I never want to become a standard, boring, adult-y type person. Year 24 of my life was filled with a whiplash of changes and a bunch of exciting experiences that I never imagined I'd get to have just one year prior. This has been, simultaneously, one of the hardest years of my life, and the happiest year of my life. It has zoomed by in the blink of an eye in some moments and has seemed to fall into slow motion at other points. I've started to redevelop myself into the person I truly want to become, rather than faltering under the pressure of what other people want me to be. I've savored, I've laughed, I've cried, I've finally been proud of myself, and I am so excited to see what my 25th year has in store for me. But before we get to my hopes for the next 12 months, here are some defining moments of my past year.
Year Twenty-Four Recap:
1. I started a new chapter of my life by moving to Miami with Stefan last year, and I've explored so much of the town already! Art shows, concerts, parks, kayaking, beaches, salsa dancing, festivals, farmer's markets, restaurants in every neighborhood- it's been so much fun going on mini adventures with my boyfriend in our new city. Though Miami definitely isn't the place I'd like to live in forever, it's been such a great learning experience for me. Plus, being only an hour and a half away from my parents in Naples and getting to visit them every month has been a nice change of pace from my usual far-off locations.
2. I got the most interesting job experiences of my life so far through working in corporate events and travel planning. I never would've guessed that I'd get the chance to plan a conference in Costa Rica for Louis Vuitton, or that Audi would allow me to plan an entire travel itinerary for their executives in Manhattan, or that I'd get to be an event producer for an iHeartRadio concert on South Beach. I got to coordinate and attend stunning, dream events which I am so thankful for, but I also learned that it's not the right career path for me. I had to do a lot of soul searching and had many rough days at work, but I've come out confident in where I want to go now. The experience of this year in events gave me so many new skills that I can't wait to use throughout my future.
3. Some amazing vacations have been had! In May, Stefan and I traveled to Costa Rica for 10 days, which may have been the most perfect trip of my entire existence. Except for Stefan feeling like his organs were disintegrating during our last two days- but other than that, paradise! Not only was it gorgeous, but it allowed me to clear my mind and refocus on what I truly find important. This summer, I also went on a three road trip up the East Coast stopping to visit friends and family in Washington DC, New York City, Ithaca, Boston, Charlottesville, and Raleigh. Even as I write this, Stefan and I are still on the road. We've been living at a hotel in Atlanta for the past month while Stefan works on engineering the new Atlanta Falcons stadium. I can't wait to be home in my own bed! So unsettled...but I guess that's what Year 24 is all about, right?
4. It's been a year of crazy important personal development. I was pretty depressed when I first moved to Miami, but I was able to turn the year around by focusing on trying to find my passions and experience new things. I learned how to play ukulele, got really great at cooking healthy meals, and dedicated much more time to practicing yoga. But what's most exciting is that I found my dream job that I'm going to pursue, and I started this blog, which I love to write in! Gutsy Girl Wellness has given me an outlet to creatively express all of my thoughts about life, travel, and health, and I've never been happier. I adore writing- getting to speak to you all through my words has already been the most amazing experience. I'm only two months into blogging though, so I hope you stick around for a while!
What's Planned for Year Twenty-Five:
1. I'm taking a major leap towards jump-starting my career in the wellness industry! I applied to a nine month coaching training program last month, and after plenty of essays and a phone interview, I was accepted! That means I'll be flying out to California in January for our welcome retreat, and I am beyond excited and nervous about what's to come. This is the dream job I've been speaking of. I've been thinking about a career path in coaching for years, but I'm finally going to do it now! In addition to this big step, I'll also be working on writing my first book and altering my blog to make it even better. So exhilarating. So scary.
2. More travel, of course! For my coach training program, I'll be going to the Napa Valley area of California for several days. Stefan is planning on meeting me there and then we'll road trip down the coast. We're going to explore San Francisco, Carmel and lots of other little towns going south, LA, and finally San Diego before flying home to Florida. I've actually never been to California, and I have a feeling I'm going to loveit. Besides the trip out West, I hope to travel back to Germany for the first time since studying abroad there in high school. I want to bring my mom this time, and show her the town I lived in and get to see my host family again. It's been far too long. I miss Germany!
3. By the end of this upcoming year, I hope that Stefan and I will have decided on a city/ town to make our home for a long while. Though traveling is clearly one of my favorite activities, I also crave finding my place where I can become a true part of the community and put down some roots. It's been too many years of me hopping from place to place and never having the time to build a strong enough connections to people. This will be the deciding year, so who knows where we'll move in Year 26!
4. This will be a year for even more personal development. I'll be participating in a five-week intuitive painting workshop, called Bloom True, starting next month. I love to create art, but I'm always so scared that I'll make a mistake that I rarely pick up a pencil or paintbrush. I'm hoping this course will push me beyond those boundaries so that I can create some beautiful pieces. I'll also be continuing with Beachbody workouts! Right now, Stefan and I are starting our second week of Piyo (Pilates and yoga combination) and participating in a challenge that teaches you new yoga inversions everyday. Doing headstands and handstands was way past my comfort zone just a few weeks ago, but I'm loving learning how to do inversions! Maybe thoughts of doing a Yoga Teacher Training are in the works...
Looking back over this list, Year 24 seemed to be a time of planting seeds for my future. It was twelve months of planning and figuring out what I wanted. It was my prep year. So that means Year 25, to keep going with the gardening metaphor, will be my year of growing into my goals and expanding my skills. Year 26 will hopefully provide some financial harvest. ;)
So if I could pick one word to meditate on and focus myself towards for the whole rest of this next year, it would be "courageous." I want to push myself to be brave enough to follow through fully in all of my coming challenges and to become the best version of myself possible. I feel in my heart and intuition that this is going to be a big year for me- I'm not sure how yet, but I'll have to work hard to make it happen! Thank you so much for stopping by and checking out my yearly life update! :)
Have a beautiful September 12th,